Athena Pronaia Sanctuary at Delphi
War and Peace in Marathon
"Nenikēkamen!" were the last words of Pheidippides as he announced the Greek victory running from Marathon to Athens and died from exhaustion thereafter.
Our War and Peace Tour begins from our apartments next to Kallimarmaro Stadium where the Annual Classical Marathon to this day has its finish line. We travel to the site of the Battle of Marathon where we can see the actual tomb or burial site of the 192 Athenian heroes buried with their shields.
Nearby is to the peaceful and quiet site of the Museum of Marathon where we see the Boy of Marathon, the Greek bronze sculpture found in the Aegean Sea at the bay of Marathon in 1925 and the ancient necropolis.
The day trip continues to the ancient city of Rhamnous or Rhamnus located by the sea overlooking the Strait of Euboia. Rhamnous was the fort guarding the narrow passages of Euboia that led to the main source of Athenian wealth, the gold mines of Lavrio, and into which grain was imported for Athens during the Peloponnesian War. There we see the Sanctuary of Nemesis, goddess of divine retribution. This temple is the most important one dedicated to her in ancient Greece.
Back to modern day life, it's the leisurous part of the day where we often go for a swim in clear blue waters depending on the time of year and/or lunch by the sea or at Marathon Lake and Dam.
If we are feeling lucky, we can have our own personal wine tasting at a Greek wine shop on our way home!
Would you ever guess that we never even left Attica?
150€ / 4 ADULTS MAX, PLEASE INQUIRE IF GROUP OF 5-6 (INCLUDING CHILDREN)
Cape Sounion is a promontory located 69 kilometers (43 mi) south-southeast of Athens, at the southernmost tip of the Attica peninsula in Greece.
Cape Sounion is noted as the site of ruins of an ancient Greek temple of Poseidon, the god of the sea in classical mythology. The remains are perched on the headland, surrounded on three sides by the sea. The ruins bear the deeply engraved name of English Romantic poet Lord Byron (1788–1824).
The site is a popular day-excursion for tourists from Athens, with sunset over the Aegean Sea, as viewed from the ruins, a sought-after spectacle.